I was recently setting up my Windows 8 Enterprise inside a Hyper V server doing my mini-network lab. When I tried activating it, I encountered an error telling me that "Windows couldn't be activated, Error 0x8007007B - The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect".
So, even though how many times I tried activating it the results are still the same - it couldn't be activated for some reason. The solution? We need to manually input the proper license key in order for us to activate the OS.
So how do we fix this? Here's how:
1. First, open an elevated Command Prompt by running it as an administrator. Go to your Start screen and type in "CMD"
2. Next, right click on it and choose "Run as administrator". The command prompt will run in an elevated privilege.
3. In the command prompt, type in the following command - slmgr.vbs /ipk [[25-digit license key]], then press enter.
5. Next, it's time to activate Windows. To activate your Windows 8, type in the following command - slmgr.vbs /ato. That command will activate your Windows 8 and Windows will prompt you if the activation was successful.
6. Congratulations! Your Windows 8 copy is now activated!
Still having problems activating your Windows 8 OS? Post your inquiries here.